Currently, the application process is closed
ALPACA will train 14 PhD students at 13 different institutions (university/research institute/company). Before you apply on any position, please read the following information before you continue.
- You apply directly at an institution (university/research institute/company)
- You can apply at most for five different positions
- Click on the logo/name of an institution listed under Projects, where you find more information
- Application deadlines vary individually between January and March
- Because applications will be discussed on a network wide level, it is preferable to apply for as many positions as possible (with the specified maximum of five positions).
- Do you have a background in computer science, mathematics, bioinformatics or artificial intelligence / data science?
- Are you interested in exploring the individual variation of entire evolutionary ensembles, such as particular species (humans, plants), pathogens (viruses, bacteria), or certain types of cancer?
- Would you like to become part of the next generation of experts in the design of data structures that support the safe arrangement and the efficient and biomedically useful exploitation of exabytes of individual genetic data?
- Have you just graduated or are you in the first four years of your research career?
- Are you interested in doing your PhD in a joint network of high profile research institutes across Europe under guidance of renowned supervisors?
- You qualify as an Early Stage Researcher, meaning that – on the starting date of your employment with the host institute – you are in the first four years of your research career and have not (yet) been awarded a doctoral degree.
- You have not resided and/or have had your main activity (study, work, etc.) in the country where the position is announced for more than 12 months during the 3 years prior to the starting date of your employment with the respective host institute.
- You are proficient in English language (academic level)
- You will get the chance to participate in specially developed lectures and courses (e.g. on specific techniques, academic soft skills, etc.);
- Already at an early stage in your career, you can start building your personal professional network due to having your PhD project embedded in a high profile consortium, encompassing renowned universities and innovative companies.
- You will be exposed to research in a non-academic environment, by spending one month (or more) in the non-academic sector. This will sharpen your understanding of strategies, requirements and skills for research in business environments.
- There will be the opportunity for you to spend time and perform research with other members of the consortium. This will widen your horizon with respect to related scientific disciplines, techniques and also alternative philosophies when pursuing scientific goals